Choice of Dog Treats
October 2016 I lost my beloved Mascot, Cletus. He ingested a bone that sliced his spleen and got lodged in his intestines. We did all we could to save him, but the damage took a toll and we had to say goodbye to my beloved child. His loss devastated the entire family.
Cletus played a big role in my dog training business and my life's mission to help rescue dogs.
By telling his story and possibly preventing this from happening to anyone else, his legacy will live on forever. For him I have to take a negative and turn it into a positive. I have contacted veterinarians and researched "SAFE" dog treats. Below is a list of "recommended and SAFE" treats for your dogs in my opinion and knowledge.
1. Elk Antlers (they don't splinter, they powder)
2. Kongs (Fill with peanut butter or even yogurt. Freeze for a longer use.)
3. Whimzees/Greenies (Dental products)
4. Liver or Lungs (Bite sizes are always safest)
5. Benebones (Should be taken away once it gets too small to prevent swallowing)
6. Himalayan Chews (It's only cheese)
7. Ears (Animal Ears/USA only) *Hart and Sargent brand are NOT preferred
9. Sweet potato dog treats (I make my own)
10. Beef Tracheas
11. Earth Animal No Hide Chews
12. Fruitables BioActive Chews
13. Simply Nourish Long-lasting Dog Treat
14. Cow Tails
15. Fish Skin Chews
16. Bully Sticks
17. Gorilla Chews
18. Duck, Chicken or Turkey Feet
19. True Acre Foods Hearty Bones
20. Barkworthies Sausage Sticks
21. Gullet Sticks
22. Etta Says! Premium Crunchy Dog Treats
RULE 1: ALWAYS BUY USA PRODUCTS
RULE 2: IF THE TREAT IS TOO HARD TO MAKE AN INDENT WITH YOUR FINGERS, IT CAN BE BAD FOR THE DOGS TEETH AND HARD TO DIGEST
RULE 3: AVOID TREATS WITH DYES IN IT
I know the stores sell many other bones; Marrow Bones, Hooves, Raw bones, Rawhide, Horns, and various other treats. Like most of you, I thought these were all great for dogs but these types of bones are difficult to digest, can crack teeth, and splinter causing intestinal lacerations and can lodge in the dog's mouth or intestines.
I want to thank everyone for your condolences and support. Cletus was, and will forever be a big part of our lives. Thank you all for continued support.
RIP Cletus (October 13, 2011 - October 23, 2016)