Choice of Dog Treats
October 2016 I lost my beloved Mascot, Cletus. He ingested a bone that sliced his spleen and got lodged in his intestines. We did all we could to save him, but the damage took a toll and we had to say goodbye to my beloved child. His loss devastated the entire family.
Cletus played a big role in my dog training business and my life's mission to help rescue dogs.
By telling his story and possibly preventing this from happening to anyone else, his legacy will live on forever. For him I have to take a negative and turn it into a positive. I have contacted veterinarians and researched "SAFE" dog treats. Below is a list of "recommended and SAFE" treats for your dogs.
1. Elk Antlers (they don't splinter, they powder)
2. Kongs (Fill with organic peanut butter or even yogurt. Freeze for a longer use.)
3. Whimzees/Greenies (Dental products)
4. Liver or Lungs (Bite sizes are always safest)
5. Benebones (Should be taken away once it gets too small to prevent swallowing)
6. Himalayan Chews (It's only cheese)
7. Ears (Animal Ears/USA only) *Hart and Sargent brand are NOT preferred
8. SmartBones/DreamBone chews
10. Sweet potato dog treats (I make my own)
11. Beef Tracheas
12. Earth Animal No Hide Chews
13. Fruitables BioActive Chews
14. Simply Nourish Long-lasting Dog Treat
15. Cow Tails
16. Salmon Skin Bones
17. Bully Sticks
18. Root Chews
RULE 1: ALWAYS BUY USA PRODUCTS
RULE 2: IF THE TREAT IS TOO HARD TO MAKE AN INDENT WITH YOUR FINGERS, IT CAN BE BAD FOR THE DOGS TEETH AND HARD TO DIGEST
I know the stores sell many other bones; Marrow Bones, Hooves, Antlers, Raw bones, Rawhide, Horns, and Bully Sticks. Like most of you, I thought these were all great for dogs but these types of bones are difficult to digest, can split, and splinter causing intestinal lacerations and can lodge in the dog's mouth or intestines.
I want to thank everyone for your condolences and support. Cletus was, and will forever be a big part of our lives. Thank you all for continued support.
RIP Cletus (October 13, 2011 - October 23, 2016)